Comicville coming to Ansonia Theatre on July 16
Blewett Falls drowning victim identified
Body recovered at Blewett Falls in Lilesville
Search for missing swimmer at Blewett Falls to resume Monday
‘We are Anson’
- Comicville coming to Ansonia Theatre on July 16 - 1:21 pm updated: 2:38 pm.
- FSA acreage reporting dates announced for Anson County - 8:16 am
- Lilesville man, Laurel Hill woman, both charged with assault - 5:21 pm
- Farm Service Agency seeks Anson County committee nominations - 4:24 pm
- Laurinburg man catches 50-pound catfish at Blewett Falls - 3:17 pm
- Wadesboro teen wins trip, tours D.C. - 10:54 am
- Uptown Wadesboro cut from state downtown program - 10:10 am
- Lilesville man charged with ID fraud, DWI, escaping Minnesota parole - 9:34 am
- Anson County honors Orlando shooting victims with vigil - 7:25 am
- 3 charged with stealing shotgun shells, bath towels from Wadesboro Walmart - 4:55 pm
- Harris still behind following recount for N.C.’s 9th Congressional District - 2:16 pm
- Anson County tourism boosters tour new kayak and canoe launch at Pee Dee Wildlife Refuge - 12:33 pm updated: 11:16 am.
- USDA, Habitat team up to build Polkton homes - 10:53 am
- Wadesboro woman charged with assaulting, stealing from handicapped person - 4:27 am
- Anson County commissioner lists coal ash concerns, board drafts letter to Duke Energy - 10:46 pm
- Wingate University selects new provost - 8:09 pm
- More tax money could be coming for Anson County - 11:24 am
- Wadesboro property selected for site readiness program - 8:05 am
- Harris to call for recount in U.S. House contest - 11:38 pm
- South Piedmont Community College employee graduates leadership class - 7:26 pm
- Blewett Falls drowning victim identified - 6:01 pm updated: 6:06 pm.
- Vigil planned for Orlando victims at Anson County Courthouse - 12:21 am
- Body recovered at Blewett Falls in Lilesville - 11:57 pm
- Civitan Club announces scholarship winners - 3:10 pm
- Search for missing swimmer at Blewett Falls to resume Monday - 9:31 pm
- Little Las Amigas named - 8:15 pm
- Polkton CNA named Home Health Care Hero - 2:09 pm
- State trooper recruiting sessions in Laurinburg, Aberdeen - 6:44 pm
- ‘We are Anson’ - 2:17 pm
- Wadesboro council considers canceling recycling - 9:51 am
- Polkton police charge Monroe man with ID theft, reckless driving - 12:13 am
- Health dept., hospital seek public input - 3:26 pm
- Pittenger keeps seat - 12:32 pm updated: 12:34 pm.
- Morven man charged with possessing weapon of mass destruction - 1:59 pm
- Harris visits Anson during early voting - 1:53 pm
- Lilesville native supports future of naval aviation - 4:05 pm
- Lanesboro, Brown Creek to merge - 8:33 am
- Fallen heroes remembered - 11:12 pm
- Wingate University, CHS launch neurologic physical therapy residency program - 8:50 pm
- Wadesboro woman accused of tax fraud - 3:49 pm
- Anson County United Way honors sponsors, volunteers - 11:06 am
- Anson County science teacher wins fellowship to intern with Pee Dee Electric - 3:37 pm updated: 3:43 pm.
- Rockingham doctor charged with pill fraud - 3:35 pm
- Sanford earns council Boy Scout award - 12:32 pm
- McInnis bill threatens to outlaw herb - 3:46 pm
- Wadesboro woman graduates from nursing program - 7:19 pm
- Morven Las Amigas members attend national meeting - 8:51 am
- Anson County children participate in Special Olympics - 4:46 pm
- Worker fatally electrocuted by power line in Anson County - 12:40 pm
- Anson County sheriff: ‘Some gave all’ - 12:39 pm updated: 12:44 pm.
3 charged with stealing shotgun shells, bath towels from Wadesboro Walmart
Three women were arrested and charged with felonies after officials say they stole shotgun shells and bath towels from the Wadesboro Walmart.Jazmine M...
Harris still behind following recount for N.C.’s 9th Congressional District
U.S. Rep. Robert Pittenger retained his victory after the results from the primary were recounted.Opponent Mark Harris announced he would be requestin...
Anson County tourism boosters tour new kayak and canoe launch at Pee Dee Wildlife Refuge
Tourism boosters visited a kayak and canoe launch along the Pee Dee River that they hope will be a step to increasing outdoor tourism in the county. ...
USDA, Habitat team up to build Polkton homes
POLKTON — Home ownership became a reality for two Anson County families on June 4.Habitat for Humanity has partnered with the United States Depa...
Wadesboro woman charged with assaulting, stealing from handicapped person
A Wadesboro woman was arrested after she allegedly assaulted a handicapped person.Argie Victoria Garris, 49, hit a handicapped individual in the head ...
Anson County commissioner lists coal ash concerns, board drafts letter to Duke Energy
One county commissioner publicly stated his concern about coal ash during the board’s meeting June 7.Cary Rodgers, a member of the environmental...
Community Calendar: Youth tackle football registration continues
Items for the community calendar will be accepted by mail to The Anson Record, P.O. Box 959, Wadesboro, NC 28170, and can also be brought by our offic...
Anson’s Justice Leak takes 3rd in state wrestling tourney
Anson High School senior Justice Leak said his third-place finish in the state wrestling championships didn’t sink in right away.“Glamour ...
McHenry siblings bag birds in youth turkey hunt
Courtesy photoJennifer McHenry shot one of the three turkeys claimed during the youth turkey hunt at the Pee Dee Wildlife Refuge on April 2.Courtesy p...
Youth fishing rodeo set April 16 at Pee Dee National Wildlife Refuge
The Pee Dee National Wildlife Refuge will host its annual youth fishing rodeo on Saturday.The event is jointly presented by the wildlife refuge and Fr...
Chamber Open golf tourney set April 16; sign up by April 13
The 16th annual Anson County Chamber Open will be held Friday, April 22 at the Twin Valley Country Club. Deadline for entering the captain’s cho...
MULTIMEDIA - PHOTO STORE
Las Amigas awards scholarships
MORVEN — Two students were given college scholarships by Las Amigas on May 24.Jackson David Poulnott and Alynda Pratt were both awarded $500 sch...
The Beast of Bladenboro
Bladen County is one of the oldest counties in N.C. It lies about seventy miles northwest of Wilmington and just southeast of Lumberton. The mighty Ca...
Rorie adopted into Singleton family
Courtesy photoAngela Ratliff Rorie was officially adopted into the family of the late Ada Ford Singleton on May 29, fulfilling one of Singleton’...
Howell joins WJSG staff
Courtesy photoWJSG, G104FM, announced the addition of Beth Howell, of Wadesboro, to the sales staff of the station.Howell has worked in outside sales ...
Burnsville woman celebrates 95th birthday
Thelma Williamson Burns celebrated her 95th birthday on May 7.Burns is the widow of the late the Rev. Jethro Burns of the Burnsville Community.Family ...
President’s plan to close Gitmo is dangerous, naive
It’s no secret that we live in a dangerous world. Tragically, we were reminded of the very real threats we face when a radical Islamic terrorist...
‘A terrible sight’
Editor’s note: This week’s installment of Steve Bailey’s column on Anson County history consists of text from an article published i...
Getting married? Give Social Security your new name
FAYETTEVILLE — Every year, June marks the beginning of two busy seasons: summer and “wedding season.” With joyful expectation, many ...
OUR VIEW: GOP Primary shows rural counties are outnumbered
Do the rural counties in the new N.C. 9th Congressional District really have a voice — or will they be drowned out by the overwhelming populatio...
If you want some more tips for good summer reading from recent books by North Carolina authors, I have four suggestions, two set in the mountains, two...
More than 100,000 U.S. women under 65 will have a stroke this year
Stroke is not a geriatric disease. And it’s not confined to elderly overweight smokers who have high blood pressure or high cholesterol. Imagine...