The Wadesboro Fire Department responded to two residential fires in the past few days.
On Nov. 28 at 7:52 a.m., the Wadesboro Fire Department responded to a residential structure fire at 86 Radio Tower St. in Wadesboro. Arriving fire units found a single-story private home with heavy smoke and flames showing. An initial scene survey determined that the resident was safe. Chief Jimmy Burns determined the cause to be a space heater too close to combustible materials. The home sustained approximately $35,000 of damage. The fire caused $7,000 damage to two cars and a neighbor’s home. The Wadesboro FD was assisted by the Lilesville Fire Department, Anson Rescue Squad and American Red Cross.
On Nov. 30 at 9:11 a.m., the Wadesboro FD was dispatched to another residential structure fire at 250 Hildreth MHP. Upon arrival, the home was fully involved. A mother and three children were displaced, but not injured. The home did not have working smoke alarms. Chief Burns stated, “The cause of origin was undetermined based on the severity of the fire.” The Wadesboro FD was assisted by the Gulledge Fire Department, the Lilesville FD, Anson EMS, and American Red Cross.
The Wadesboro FD has responded to two fires recently related to heating safety and reminds citizens to use space heaters with caution. Citizens are urged not to leave space heaters unattended and to have a working smoke alarm. Maintain a clear 3 feet around all space heaters. If any citizen needs an alarm, they are available free from the fire department. A fire department representative will come to your home and install the alarm. Citizens can contact the fire department to request assistance.
Residents are encouraged to have working smoke alarms and home escape plans. Alarms should be tested monthly. Citizens can contact the Wadesboro FD if they have questions or need assistance developing a home safety plan at 704-694-2167.