West Deep Creek M.B.C. preps for 150th anniversary

By: By Cornelia G. Liles and Etrula M. Erwin
Courtesy photo This photo, taken somewhere between 1948-1950, shows what was likely the second building of West Deep Creek Missionary Baptist Church.

West Deep Creek Missionary Baptist Church will celebrate its 150th anniversary Nov. 11-13.

The celebration will begin with a banquet at 6:30 p.m. Friday in the community building, formerly known as West Deep Creek High School.

The festivities will continue from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday when members and friends are welcome to observe the membership’s “Journey through Time,” which will feature a Bible bowl, Family Feud and Jeopardy games, along with other entertainment and activities.

Sunday School will being at 9:30 a.m. Morning worship will also be held at 10:30 a.m. Sunday with the Rev. Richard Graham pastor of Flint Ridge Missionary Baptist Church delivering the anniversary sermon.

At 3 p.m. Sunday, the Rev. Nilous Avery, president of the General Baptist State Convention of North Carolina and pastor of Mount Zion Missionary Baptist Church in Salisbury, will be the afternoon speaker.

West Deep Creek Missionary Baptist Church was founded by the Rev. Joe Ratliff, a former slave of the Billy Ratliff plantation. He and his wife, Sally Marshall Ratliff, were the parents of 13 children. Many of his descendants remain in membership at the church today.

The Rev. Terry A. Little is the pastor of West Deep Creek. Little and the congregation invite all to attend the anniversary celebration.

Cornelia G. Liles and Etrula M. Erwin are co-chairs of the anniversary committee at West Deep Creek Missionary Baptist Church.

Courtesy photo This photo, taken somewhere between 1948-1950, shows what was likely the second building of West Deep Creek Missionary Baptist Church.
https://ansonrecord.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/web1_West-Deep-Creek-church-fz.jpgCourtesy photo This photo, taken somewhere between 1948-1950, shows what was likely the second building of West Deep Creek Missionary Baptist Church.

By Cornelia G. Liles and Etrula M. Erwin