An American Red Cross lifeguarding course will be offered in three classes:
• Instructor Class – April 27, 28, 29 (must be a certified lifeguard)
• Renewal Class – May 4, 5, 6
• Beginner Class – May 18, 19, 20
To be eligible for the lifeguarding course, the participant must be 15 years of age on or before the final scheduled session of this course. The participant must successfully complete the following:
1. Swim 300 yards continuously, using these strokes in the following order:
• 100 yards of front crawl using rhythmic breathing and a stabilizing, propellant kick. Rhythmic breathing can be performed either by breathing to the side or the front.
• 100 yards of breaststroke using a pull, breathe, kick or glide sequence.
• 100 yards of either the front crawl or breaststroke. The 100 yards may be a combination of front crawl and breaststroke.
2. Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive 7-10 feet, retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the object and exit the water without using a ladder or steps, within 1 minute 40 seconds.
3. Tread water for 2 minutes without the use of hands.
For more information or to enroll call 704-695-2782.