Receiving housing benefits? A trip to Social Security may not be necessary

By: By Brenda Brown - Contributing columnist

FAYETTEVILLE — Social Security is constantly evolving to make your life easier. If you are currently receiving benefits from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and are reapplying for benefits, or are assisting someone with their application, a trip to the Social Security office is probably not necessary even if you need verification of your Social Security benefits.

Because of a data exchange established between Social Security and HUD, most people do not need to contact Social Security for a benefit verification letter. HUD administrators processing a Recertification Application for Housing Assistance can use their Enterprise Income Verification System to verify Social Security and Supplemental Security Income benefits.

Public housing agencies, private owners, and management agents administering HUD rental assistance programs may get registration information about EIV by logging onto the following websites: or

If you are a new applicant for housing assistance, you can provide your HUD administrator with your Social Security award letter, Cost of Living Adjustment notice, SSA-1099, or any other SSA benefit document received showing current benefits.

We created these data exchange agreements to help you get the support you need at the first point of contact, even if that is not with Social Security. If you do need to provide proof of Social Security benefit yourself, we have another way to save you a trip to Social Security. You can get an instant benefit verification letter with a personal my Social Security account at

Brenda Brown is a Social Security public affairs specialist based in Fayetteville.


By Brenda Brown

Contributing columnist